To play a key role in one of the Medical Negligence teams which is currently conducting a substantial Group Action. The role will primarily by working on allocated cases within the action to assist with key stages including, but not limited to:
- Statement taking
- Record gathering
- Instruction of medical experts
- Assisting with drafting and preparation of letters of claim
- Advising clients on the merits of their cases
- Supporting other members of the team with various stages of the claims.
This is a great opportunity for a commercially minded lawyer with preferably experience of dealing with medical negligence claims who is looking to develop and learn how to investigate and run a case in an efficient and proactive manner.
You will also be joining a quality, large, busy and growing department of clinical negligence experts. There are excellent opportunities to broaden experience and horizons in both a pre and post litigation environment both within and outside of the confines of the group action claims.
- Supporting the team to provide outstanding customer care
- Proactive case management and progression
- Supporting the delivery of the team’s financial performance KPIs
- Effective and thorough time recording
- Discussing and agreeing case tactics and planning with the Team Leader
- Implementing caseplans
- Reviewing case and drafting a thorough witness statement and additional key actions within the case
- Working with clients to ensure that relevant information is collected and collated to enable the progression of the case
- Ensuring that all relevant information is obtained, noted on file and signed as appropriate
- Instructing an appropriate medical expert to prepare reports as directed by the Team Leader
- Co-ordinating the progression of cases with all internal and external parties
- Assisting the team with case progression as and when required such as assisting in drafting of LOC, obtaining quantum evidence and negotiating settlement
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Experience of working in a medical negligence firm or evidence of a keen interest in medical law and the surrounding issues.
- A willingness to learn and specialise in medical negligence.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication and drafting skills, including drafting legal correspondence
- Good IT skills especially in respect of Microsoft Office packages and ideally Proclaim
- Customer care and communication experience essential
- Excellent attention to detail and time management
- Experience of claims handling in a legal environment